Overs action design

Thu, 15 Jul 2094 20:27:44 -0700

Ron: =20

I don't know when you might receive this as I assume it will take at =
least a few days to return to Australia from Reno, but I have some =
questions about your action design.  I have copied the pianotech list as =
I am sure that those who did not have the opportunity to see it will be =
interested.  I could not attend your class in Reno due to some conflicts =
so forgive me if you covered this material there.

1.  I assume that the layout is designed to put all the friction points =
on the convergence lines.  The most noticeable change therein is the =
capstan which angles toward the front of the key rather than the back.  =
Is the angle of the capstan set at the tangent to the arc scribed by the =
movement of the key at that point, or is it a more acute angle?  Is the =
idea that with the wippen heel set at 90 degrees to the capstan that =
there is no sliding and thus reduced friction?  It seems that this would =
also result in greater wippen speed since there is no lateral movement =
allowing you to use a slightly longer knuckle radius.

2.  What is the product of all the distance leverages and does it =
correlate to a specific key dip/blow distance combination?  Have you =
found generally that there is a specific and absolute correlation =
between total distance leverages?  For example, TSDL =3D 6.5 correlates =
to 10mm dip and 45 mm blow, and for any deviation of x a corresponding =
change in dip and blow of y must be made.

3.  What is the friction range in the action that you had in Reno.

4.  Your shank uses a 20mm knuckle to center pin radius.  Was this done =
primarily to reduce friction at the knuckle because of your intention to =
use such a heavy hammer? =20

5.  Just for fun.  All things being equal, what happens if you reorient =
a Steinway capstan toward the keyboard by 8-10 degrees, put it on the =
line of convergence and spin a slanted heel around backwards to put the =
two in line?

It was a pleasure meeting you.  It's a beautiful piano you've produced =
and I wish you the best of luck with your project.

David Love