  From: Wimblees@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: July 07, 2001 5:42 AM
  Subject: Re: price guides to new and used pianos

  In a message dated 7/7/01 1:50:50 AM Central Daylight Time,=20
  davidlovepianos@earthlink.net writes:=20

    List:=20

    What are the current guides to the prices of new and used pianos and =
how=20
    can I get them?=20

    Thanks=20

    David Love=20

  As far as new prices are concerned, subscribe to the Ancott Music =
Product=20
  Directory, Acoustic Piano Edition. For $45.00 per year you get 2 =
editions,=20
  fall/winter and spring/summer. ($80.00 for 2 years). You can call them =
at=20
  513-772-2282.=20

  As far as used pianos are concerned, unlike a blue book for cars, =
there is no=20
  guide in the piano industry, at least not that I know of. There are so =
many=20
  variables when it comes to pianos, it is difficult to put a "formula" =
on=20
  determining the value of a used piano. The variables include, but are =
not=20
  limited to: area of the country, age and use of the instrument, over =
all=20
  condition, style and model, case damage.=20

  I have been appraising pianos for over 20 years, and it is still a =
challenge.=20
  You really need to know the value of new pianos, and what the piano =
you are=20
  appraising sold for new, to determine the value of the used piano.=20

  Wim=20