C. Keyboard'80(J.Svec)

Jay/Deb Mercier mercier@minnewaska.com
Mon, 29 Sep 2098 09:55:45 -0500

> ......"When you're just getting started, it wouldn't hurt to do the
>   jobs a little better than you figure the money is worth, to help
>   you spread your name around more quickly. It depends in the
>   end on how much you value for your time. My attitudes in this
>   regard have change in some ways. I've realized that I have a
>   finite amount of time and I can no longer give things away to
>   people who don't appreciate them. But you are not going to go
>   wrong by doing a little more than you have to. Even now, I don't
>   ask to be paid for everything I do, because often I do some extra
>   things on a job not to make money, but because it's necessary and
>   the piano needs it. I'm not saying that everyone has to feel that way
>   about it, but this certainly creates a right relationship with your
work.
>   Instead of looking for a shortcut method to do something, you should
>   learn to do it the right way. If someone is in the tuning business for
>   a quick buck, he or she is going to be surprised, and a lot of customers
>   will be dissapointed.".......

-----------------------------

He hit the nail square on the head.  In addition, I think doing the  "extra
things on a job not to make money" largely depends on the customer's
appreciation of their piano, their realization of your work and dedication
to making improvements towards their piano's performance and your overall
time frame for that particular day.  I enjoy making the small improvements
for no extra cost if I know it's appreciated by the customer.  If their day
is better due to the "extra improvements at no additional cost", that's all
I need (instead of the $10 - $40 extra bucks) for job satisfaction - on top
of the fact that I am also satisfied with my own work.

I know that sounds peachy, and it is on the days when there are 4 pianos to
tune.  If number 1 piano needs that little extra work, I'd most likely
charge extra if I know that the work will make me late for the next job.

Just my opinion,

Jay