Seating/false beats

John W. McKone mckonejw@skypoint.com
Thi, 17 Apr 1997 11:43.24 -0600

I'm not so sure that just because static friction is broken by rendering =
in the horizontal plane, that it would be broken in the vertical plane =
at the same time.  Hmmm... guess its time for me to check with my local =
phycisist again.

In addition, I think it should be pointed out in this discussion that =
the downbearing of an individual string is fairly small - on the order =
of a couple of pounds. So the friction required to keep the string =
slightly off of the bridge isn't that great

As to the ability of the hammer to lift the string off of the bridge.  =
I'm not as sure of that as I was a couple of weeks ago (this list will =
do that to you) I think, as Ron Says, that humidity shifts have a lot =
more to do with it in normal circumstances.  I do maintain, however, =
that a hard blow, especially in the upper treble where the hammer is a =
lot closer to the bridge, can create some movement.

John McKone, RPT
St. Louis Park, Minnesota
(612) 280-8375
"Sleepless in Minnesota"

>From   : Ron Nossaman <nossaman@southwind.net>
Sent   : 04/17/97

I've been wondering myself if a hard blow CAN drive a string up a bridge =
pin, or if it's exclusively a humidity swing thing.

 It seems to me that a string rendering through the bridge would tend to =
seat itself by virtue of downbearing once the stagger friction is =
overcome and the string is sliding. You can pound a string flat (pitch =
<G>) and have it come back up somewhat (I've seen it in about octave 6, =
where all the weird stuff happens) without touching the tuning pin at =
all. If the string has moved THROUGH the bridge pins, wouldn't =
downbearing pull it down too? If a pianist CAN unseat strings it would =
pretty much have to trash the unison tuning.

Regards, Ron Nossaman

At 05:24 PM 4/16/97 -0700, you wrote:
>One small question keeps occurring to me as I read this thread:
>
>If, as seems possible, hard blows are enough to cause the strings to =
ride up
>on the bridge pins, and stay there, is it a good idea to reseat them?
>
>Would it be better to consider who is going to play the piano next? =
What if
>the next performer is heavy handed, and will drive them right back up? =
Will
>a pianist's unseating them trash our unisons at the same time? When we =
do
>whole-hearted test blows, do we drive them back up ourselves? What =
happens
>to the bridge top and pins when we seat -- unseat -- seat, over and =
over?

>Carry on, list ... all cogitations gratefully accepted.
>
>Susan Kline
>skline@proaxis.com
>P.O. Box 1651,
>Philomath, OR 97370