Notes 85-86-87-88

John W. McKone mckonejw@skypoint.com
Fri, 11 Apr 1997 17:09.41 -0600

Tom and list,

I too am a musician who has used an SAT to great advantage. I have =
learned a lot from that little box. However I get a little nervous when =
the spinning lights and not our ears become the final arbitor of what is =
right. Differant spaces and situation require different stretches in =
this sensitive part of the scale, and many of the decisions that have do =
be made are based on factors not measured by the SAT.

An example: I find that a dead note that may have a lot false beats =
needs to be stretched more that one that has clear unisons and a lot of =
sustain.  If these notes are next to each other, and I tune them where I =
feel I need to,to make them sound "correct" musically, the SAT might =
interpret this intentional variance as inconsistant and "incorrect".  In =
a situation like this I submit that the ear must be the final judge.

Aside from problems with hearing loss, it seems to me that the reason =
many tuners tend to put these notes too sharp is that they may tune =
exclusively melodically, without then testing harmonically as well. I =
find when I tune melodically only, these notes end up about 10 cents =
sharper than if I test harmonically as well.  So, in a nutshell, I make =
sure the note is just sharp enough to be exceptable to my musicians =
ears, without the octave being wide enough to offend my tuners ears.  If =
I cheat, its toward the musical, because in the end I'm trying to please =
the player not another technician, or an SAT.

One final point. As my ears, and my perception of pitch change over =
time, the SAT will make a wonderful tool to measure these changes =
against.  It really is a wonderful tool.

John McKone, RPT
St. Louis Park, Minnesota
(612) 280-8375

Apologies in advance if I've reopened the stretch thread!

---------------------------------
>From   : Tom Cole <tcole@cruzio.com>
Sent   : 04/11/97
To     : pianotech@byu.edu
Subject: Re: Notes 85-86-87-88

When I took over the tuning duties at UCSC in 1979, I found that my =
predecessor had left
all of the pianos tuned 1/4 - 1/2 tone sharp in the last half octave. He =
had explained that
musicians liked those top notes tuned that way. Well, I'm a musician and =
I thought they
sounded sharp. It took me a couple of years to get this "kink" out of =
each piano.

Over the years, I've learned to use more aural checks and have =
discovered that _I_ had
been putting more stretch in those upper octaves than the checks would =
indicate. And now
that I'm using CyberTuner (since Sept.), I'm able to get  tunings that =
are very pleasing,
even though I'm tuning the treble more conservatively than is my natural =
tendancy.

It reminds me of the story I think Norman Neblett told about when he =
first tuned for
Jascha Heifetz. The violinist wanted the top notes tuned a half step =
sharp and Norm, not
knowing quite how to make that work, offered him the wrench... "Could =
you show me
what you mean?" Mr. Heifetz declined but I think he made his point, that =
the ear wants to
hear the top notes sharper than 2:1 octaves. (Especially violinists and =
sopranos.)

"Tempering my wild ear with electronics"
Tom
--
Thomas A. Cole, RPT
Santa Cruz, California