Wood MC Puzzle

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Sat, 30 Nov 2002 12:09:22 -0600

>My gauge has a full 2-5/8-inch crown.  I was excited after a day or so
>when it had a good 1/4" of crown, but I find it rather amazing that so
>much crown would develop with an apparent change of only 3.5% MC. I'm sure
>a large part of the large crown development is because all my dimensions
>are reasonable for a real soundboard, except for my rib thickness which is
>perhaps 1/3 of where it might be on a piano.

I use the formula Len*0.043*((ToMC-FromMC)/0.28) to estimate expansion
rates in new spruce. Len is length in inches, 0.043 is a constant for
the  approximate expansion coefficient for spruce, and 0.28 is the
saturation MC.

So 46*((8.4-5)/0.28)=0.240", which is how much an unrestrained panel of new
spruce should have grown with that MC change. I would expect somewhat less
from the old used panel, but that's one of the things I intend to measure
with my little experiment. Figure the arc segment length on top of the
panel against the length of the straight rib before assembly, and you can
get a rough indication of how much compression is in that panel.

>I'm looking forward to this gauge being of very good use after I get it
>calibrated - which will occur after we get all this MC mucky-muck worked
>out to some degree of satisfaction.
>
>Terry Farrell

It should be quite useful (if it will fit in your hot box).  <G>

Ron N