string level

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Sat, 30 Nov 2002 16:12:14 +0100

Hello,

I am actually playing (no, truly I work) with the vertical distance
between whippen axe and hammer axe on a little grand.

I discovered that here is a place where some creativity lies, and
where we can change the tactile feedback a lot.

On the same piano I can have a light feel as with an old action, or a
more mellow feel as with a well balanced modern one.

So much parameters are involved in that I can't explain them all, but
it plays a big role in the way the stroke is efficient, allowing to
maintain a more even resistance during the keystroke when the distance
is shorter (standard height is 64 mm) by one or 2 mm.
Adding that with slightly overcentering hammers gives a very good
touch and maximum repetition, then we keep a more even pressure till
just before letoff because the letoff is more on the spread line.

Do some of you check with a square the rake of the hammers on the
strings, since I begin to check that, I've seen that most of the
strings (in short pianos) are not in an horizontal plane, and that
when asking for a 1° rake the hammer is then often yet meeting the
strings on it's back shoulder . A colleague of mine goes up to 92 °
rake, telling me it helps to avoid the break of the joint too.

Do you consider the hammer may meet the strings at 90°, or is it
envisageable that this will only be on forte blows where the shank is
slightly flexing ?

I am still looking for a computerized model (or math) that works in
angular geometry and not only based on fractions and static measures,
as all the systems used at this day.

I hear of such a project for soundboards, but did not for action
geometry. In all the methods I know actually, no mention of action
compression in the vertical plane is involved.

As it took me a few years to be updated on the attack angle of the
keys toward the whippen, I have still a few years in front of me, I've
learned to be patient anyway !

Best Regards

Isaac OLEG

PianoTech