Sitting under the piano

Nathan Bower nathan@bowern8.plus.com
Fri, 29 Nov 2002 20:54:23 -0000

Hello,

I joined this list about 3 weeks ago, and have enjoyed my stay so far! I
have a lot to learn here!

Anyway I enjoy sitting under our piano when someone is playing it - I think
that the sound is much better there. I expect this is because I cannot hear
the strings so clearly and the soundboard is providing almost all of the
sound. The bass response is better, and the SPL clearly higher. I would love
to sit under someone like E Kissin's piano at a Rachmaninoff concert!

Are all pianos like this? Ours is a 5" Samick Grand, only a few years old.
What rules do you go by when positioning the piano in a room? Ours is
currently with the keyboard about in the center, and the strings point to a
corner - perhaps this "corner loading" will help the bass response?

In general im looking for tips to get the most out of our piano, and
information on why it sounds better under the piano.

Nathan

(currently trying to work out a method of sitting underneath, and playing a
piano... at the same time!)