Laminated soundboard panels

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Fri, 29 Nov 2002 11:07:12 -0600

I don't recall this coming up before, but does anyone know anything of
research done on low angle laminated soundboard panels? With the usual 90°
cross plies, the panel is significantly stiffer parallel to the ribs, and
less stiff perpendicular to the ribs than a solid panel. It seems to me
that a low angle lamination would be more nearly like a solid panel in flex
characteristics, necessitating fewer and less drastic design changes for
the substitution. Compression ridges and cracking should be all but
eliminated, though I don't know for sure what the dimensional change rate
with MC shifts would be. I would assume less. You could advertise a 75 year
warranty against cracking and crown loss (and not even have to conjure up a
centripetal constipator to do it). It could certainly be a way to waste a
whole lot less AAA grade spruce by using the odd colored and pieced
together stuff in the core laminations, saving a thin slab of the pretty
stuff for the top side cosmetics.

While I have no doubt a very nice sounding soundboard can be made out of
what other folks would consider crate material, this might be a less
radical departure from what manufacturers are doing now, that wouldn't
unduly traumatize their engineering and marketing departments.

The "green" soundboard panel. Less waste, better consistency. It isn't easy
being green, but it's easier to interest the public in saving something
that's already gone than in preserving something that's abundant and being
wasted. Get yours now - while supplies last.
Ron N