Some help around Jersey City might be needed

Phil Bondi tito@philbondi.com
Fri, 29 Nov 2002 06:39:13 -0500

Good Morning.

I have been in contact with a woman who has recently purchased a piano off
of E-bay. She got a M&H C(I believe) for practically a song. The people
selling it had no clue as to its real value.

The Piano also needs hammers re-shaped and a regulation.

She contacted me through the Guild (we have never met) to go look at the
piano (It originally came from Naples, FL) which I did. I also told her of
its condition and how it could be made much better with hammer re-shaping
and regulation..by the way, neither of these 'conditions' are real bad..it
just needs it.

I suggested that she ship the piano, as is, without the work being done to
it and I would recommend a technician for her in the Jersey City area to
come in and make the necessary repairs. The reason for my thinking here was
2-fold:

-I wanted her to experience exactly what I experienced with this little
gem..with the understanding that it could be better.

-I did NOT want her to think, even for a moment, that I was in any way,
shape, or form trying to get more money from her than I was already
receiving for my appraisal services..  ie. doing unecessary work and
charging accordingly.

I openly explained this to her, and she was most appreciative. I also
contacted a very competent technician in the Jersey City 'area' who was
willing to do the work for her.

I had spoke to the technician about how the piano was shipped and what I
thought it needed. He asked me why I didn't do the work to begin with? - I
explained my position of wanting the buyer to experience what I
experienced..he agreed with my assessment and he agreed to do the work.

Unfortunately, he will not be able to do the work.

I have thought about flying up to NJ for a long weekend with some tools in
tow and do the job myself - take in NYC - make it a business trip. However,
I am also taking suggestions from those reading this of people who you might
recommend in the Jersey City Area to do the job. I have one person in mind
who MIGHT do the job, but I haven't contacted him yet..and he lives across
the tunnell...right, Tom?!?!?

..just looking for your thoughts and recommendations..

-Phil Bondi (Fl.)
tito@philbondi.com