Belly rail crown - Why???

David Andersen bigda@gte.net
Thu, 28 Nov 2002 09:53:17 -0700

>    I rebuilt a Stwy B from the CD dept from the 1970s'. Awesome sounding
>original board and at every place I could measure It was only .310 which
>means it was also likely thinner at the perimeter and it was what looked like
>me that thin at the belly rail. No I didn't drill small holes at other
>locations to check but These are the kinds of observations I think to be
instructive
>to me personally. Many things work. We all agree that rib crowning is a
>superior method for longeveity but I've heard some amazing sounding
compression
>crowned boards that are not inferior tonally to my rib crowned boards. Makes
>me scratch my head.
>        Dale Erwin

Yes, many head-scratchers involved in the Steinway saga.  This just
proves that what Ursula LeGuin said is more true than ever:

"Endless are the arguments of mages."

What is the final arbiter of what sounds and feels good?  My ears.  My
sensibilities.  The ears and sensibilities of world-class artists I know
and trust.

Keep rockin', boys and girls........happy Turkey Day....David Andersen