6:3 bass octaves---why?

Tom Servinsky tompiano@gate.net
Thu, 28 Nov 2002 10:04:21 -0500

List,
I have to chime in on this one.  It's not a matter of subjectivity with
regards to what octave stretch to use,as it is a matter of being able to
(objectively)identify the predominant partials for each section of the piano
and work with what you have to work with.
The fact is that most pianos in the bass have an extremely strong 6:3 partial
( 5th and octave and a fifth). Choosing to ignore those partials and attempt
to tune at a 4:2 octave will make those strong partials out of tune. The same
goes for tuning in the temperament octave. Very seldom do octaves in the part
of the piano have a strong 6:3 partial but rather a strong 4:2 partial.
It goes back to the fundenmental rule of tuning... let the piano tell dictate
how the piano should be tuned. This applies to the initial temperament octave,
thier beat speeds,  and applying it throughout the entire piano.
Tom Servinsky, RPT