finger joint soundboard

Wed, 27 Nov 2002 11:13:40 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Phillip Ford" <fordpiano@earthlink.net>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: November 27, 2002 9:20 AM
Subject: Re: finger joint soundboard

<JackHouweling@dccnet.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I recently tuned a new Kawai
> > piano. When I observed the
> > soundboard I saw finger joints...
> >
> > Jack
>
> Jack,
> Thanks for sharing that.  It certainly is ugly.  I'm not sure I see the
point.
>  I wouldn't think the load on this joint would be much.  It seems a scarf
or a
> tongue and groove joint would work as well and be less noticeable.
>
> Phil F

That's not a straight-forward finger joint. It's one of the decorative
variety. Depending on the species of wood some look better than others. I
agree that this was, perhaps, not the best joint to use for aesthetics. A
straight finger joint might have been better. As might the modified lap
joint I saw in the ancient upright board.

Del