Choosing to Condemn

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Wed, 27 Nov 2002 07:24:37 -0500

Friends,

I am certainly not a pianist.  I agree that being able to play well
would be an asset.  On the other hand, for us non-pianists, what we
really need is what I will call deep education and experience.

When I go to service a piano, I ask the client if there is anything
other than tuning that they want me to check out.  If they say no, I
plan to do just the tuning, but I may notice something that needs
attention.  Since they did not perceive a problem, I may say that the
problem should be corrected, but that no harm will be done if we plan to
do it next time.  That helps to keep my schedule sane.

I could probably count on one hand the times I felt the customer's
requirements were beyond my level of expertise.  In those cases I say we
can't all specialize in everything, and I refer them to someone who can
meet their needs.  I am not aware that this approach has ever diminished
my reputation.  If anything, people might respect me more.

Yesterday I worked on two old beaters, but I hope that neither will ever
be condemned and discarded, but rather completely rebuilt.  They have
cases "to die for" -- very few like them around anymore.  Maybe I'll get
into doing that kind of thing as a hobby someday.  The owners know and
recognize that the musical capabilities of both instruments are quite
limited in their current condition.

Regards,
Clyde Hollinger, RPT
Lititz, PA, USA