pianos in the sun

John Ross jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
Mon, 25 Nov 2002 19:08:50 -0400

Hi Jim,
It appears that this is one of the times, where the time of tuning is going to have an effect.
The sun won't shine on the piano all the time, and the piano, is probably played in the evenings. So tune it when the environment is closest to what it is when played.
When the sun shines on it, it will go out of tune, but it should come back toward being in tune, when the sun goes off it.
It is a similar situation, that arises with stage lighting, in a concert situation.
Hoping that this makes some sense.
Regards,
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia.
jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: James McCormac
  To: pianotech@ptg.org
  Sent: Monday, November 25, 2002 12:54 PM
  Subject: pianos in the sun

  Citizens of Newtonville -

  The other day while making my rounds I found two pianos that were placed in the sun. After the usual discussion with the clients about having the piano in a location with the least change in temperature and humidity - the owners responded that the pianos where put in the only place they fit - yada yada yada. In both cases the windows were designed for passive solar heating - so drapes etc. are not an option that they want to take. One solution for an upright piano would be an opaque screen of Asian design or of decorative wood to shade the piano. Perhaps not an ideal plan, but one that would go a long way to protect the piano. The grand piano presents too much surface to be shaded by a screen. Here a piano cover seemed the best protection. What options are there of cover material or quilting to protect a piano from the sun? Who are the makers that I should contact?

  Best regards

  Jim McCormac, RPT

  Fallbrook, CA