Soundboard tension & compression

Mon, 25 Nov 2002 23:19:56 +0100

Delwin D Fandrich wrote:

>      So far, so good. A stress interface develops
>      between the soundboard panel and the ribs at the
>      glueline.
>      RicB:
>
>           -What does happen tho is that it
>           returns about half way and you have
>           some crown already before taking on
>           any humidity, and the inside of the
>           panel is less compressed then it was
>           in the caul, the outside less tense,
>           and the ribs less less tense.
>

>      And now we're on the edge of the wagon getting
>      ready to hop. Actually, we're probably already
>      on the bunny trail. I would question that the
>      outside of the soundboard panel would be just
>      'less tense.' Even at this point it is almost
>      certainly under some amount of compression.
>
>      RicB:
>
>           Let the panel take on humidity..
>
>           --and the compression on the underside
>           of the panel increases, the tension on
>           the ribs increases...--and the top
>           side of the panel... hmmm.. its still
>           under some degree of tension if I am
>           correct up to this point. So at some
>           point enough humdity will put the top
>           side under compression.
>
>      Ah, now we're definitely hopping on down the
>      bunny trail. And we're not alone out here. For
>      some reason this seems to be a point of
>      confusion with many.

Richard Brekne writes:

And I just KNEW this was exactly where things were going to
happen. I guess thats a positive sign anyways.. :) It seems
obvious that all the confusion, or dissagreement, or
whatever it is, is centered right at this exact bit here...
the presumed tension in the outside of the panel. The
confusion starts exactly the moment we release the assembly
from the caul then. Until that point, everyone seems to be
in aggreement that there in tension in ribs (panel side) and
outside of the panel itself, and compression on the inside
of the panel.

What is not clear is WHY, (i.e. what the mechanisim is and
how it works)  the tension in the ouside of the panel
somehow reverses to compression when the panel is released
from the caul. One is quite liable to think that whatever
tension was there would simply be halved (assuming the
assembly returns aproximately half way to its origional flat
state). Actually, one could be tempted to think that this
was the whole point of the process... to pre-tense as it
were, the outside of the panel so it could take on crown
without so much compression.  And if one DID assume that,
then the rest of the logic that follows would seem to make
perfect sense.

Likewise if, as you say, the panels outside actually comes
under compression then the rest of what you wrote below
makes perfect sense. Indeed, unless I am mistaken,  if your
claim that (paraphrased) << for equal amounts of crown,
there are equal amounts of compression in both the flat
ribbed / flat caul, and flat ribbed / dished caul methods)
then there would have to be exactly the same amount of
compression in the panel at this point as there would be for
a flat rib / flat caul assembly that had the same amount of
crown. One is left then with nothing gained whatsoever by
employing  the dished caul at all. Or rather.. about the
only thing you COULD accomplish would be to manipulate  the
curvature of the caul in order to create a different shape
to the crown then what one would accomplish with the flat
caul.

It's certainly not within my knowledge base to declare whats
what here... but at least I believe I see where the
different views I've seen brought up diverge and why they do
so.

Thanks muchly for the detailed and thorough reply Del. If
you care to go a step forward and explain how the tension
changes to compression on the outside of the panel as a
result of being released from the caul, I am sure you would
go a long ways towards clearing the entire issue up.

Cheers..
RicB

btw... I've always been in the wagon... I just dont like
getting jogged around much. I do like to hop off once in a
while to chase down bunnies tho... I'll freely admit that :)

>      As the panel becomes compressed to the point it
>      is able to develop a glueline stress interface
>      sufficient to form or even maintain crown the
>      whole panel is going to be under compression

This (above) would seem to be the exact moment of confusion
then... It happens rather quickly.. or what..?  just pop the
assembly out of the caul and in the time it takes to settle
into its initial crown the tension that was in the outside
of the panel turns to compression, despite the fact that the
panel never flattened out to release its tension that way.
Clear this up, and you've cleared the whole issue up me
thinks.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.