Stupid Mistake

SUSAN P SWEARINGEN ssclabr8@flash.net
Sun, 24 Nov 2002 11:15:45 -0600

Hi everyone.  I had my first little accident as a piano technician =
yesterday.  I'm fairly new to the business and this is my first mishap =
so I'm feeling a little guilty about it.

Here is what happened.

After tuning a 3-year old Yamaha U3 upright, I was placing the front =
board back in place when it slipped out of my hands and crashed into and =
on top of the piano.  It caused some minor rubbing on the finish but =
thank goodness it was only on the surface and it buffed out just fine.  =
The owner was standing nearby when all this happened so it was quite =
emabarrasing.  I thought everything was ok but the owner called me the =
next day saying the very left note (A0) was not playing.  She flipped =
open the top lid and peered in and saw that the A0 hammer was missing, =
just a broken hammer shank left.

Of course, I'll be taking care of this little problem at no charge but I =
feel like such an idiot over the whole thing.

I think it would be very theraputic to hear a few stories of similar =
mishaps when you more experienced folk were just starting out. =20

How about it?

Corte Swearingen