Belly rail crown - Why???

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Sun, 24 Nov 2002 11:16:54 -0600

>     I see nothing wrong with the beveled rim personally, if my boards are
> retaining a good amount crown even when strung I see no reason to induce
> another unnecessary possible strain at the edge of the board by changing
> all the beveled rastens that come through the shop to a flat edge. No,
> I'm not saying you were advocating that either.

Hi Dale,
There's nothing wrong with beveled rims, but if you find no performance
advantage to beveling rims and are building a piano, you wouldn't be too
eager to spend the time to cut the bevel. In rebuilding, if the bevel is
there, you leave it. The point being to not go to unnecessary trouble to
incorporate or eliminate any "feature" that has no clear effect either way.

>  Also the board is often thinned down to as little as .250 at the edges
> so undue stress once again not desired.

Why would you thin the board edges in the first place (except maybe in the
bass if you don't float it), and why would it be less desirable to unduly
stress these edges than it would a thicker edge. And what constitutes undue
stress? How is a board stressed more by a rim beveled 1° less than the
angle at which the rim meets the panel under load, than it is by a rim
beveled 1° more? Doesn't compute.

Ron N