scrapers

Carl Meyer cmpiano@attbi.com
Sat, 23 Nov 2002 20:48:42 -0800

I'm refinishing the plate and soundboard in an antique collard and =
collard.  It seems it was built and then the case installed around it.  =
No visible means to remove the plate, so I'm doing it in the piano.  Big =
job.  To scrape the finish, I had a scraper that I'd made some time ago. =
 Actually two of them.

One is made from a trap spring.  It's hardened and shaped just right get =
under the plate and thru the holes.  The other is a standard small =
scraper blade soldered to a mending plate.  They both worked so well I =
thought I'd send photos.  The trap spring can be ground to shape and =
sharpened by a couple of swipes across a running belt sander when it =
gets dull. I haven't done it yet but I plan to make several and then =
anneal the handle portion so it can be bent by hand to fit a bit better =
in tight spots.

The grain of the board runs parallel to the keyboard and has screws into =
the ribs.  I've removed the discolored screws and scraped the finish one =
at a time and inserted  brass screws an eighth of an inch longer that =
what I took out.  I believe they were no. 7 screws.=20

I plan to dry the board, wedge it up and fill a few small cracks with =
thin epoxy mixed with white microballoons and saw dust (to match color). =
=20

I have lots of options for the final finish.  Shellac, lacquer, epoxy, =
varnish etc etc.  Brush, pad, spray, wipe etc.   Maybe rub with 4/0 wool =
to cut shine to minimize brush marks

What say ye?

Thanks

Carl Meyer  Assoc. PTG