Piano Construction Origins, was: Butt-Jointed Ribs

Sat, 23 Nov 2002 09:05:59 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Farrell" <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: November 23, 2002 4:46 AM
Subject: Piano Construction Origins, was: Butt-Jointed Ribs

> Del wrote:
>
> "....so much of early piano construction came from the wooden boatbuilding
industry of the day."

> Now you've got my interest! Is there some traceable lineage from boats to
pianos? I can't quite picture where pianos have things in common with
boatbuilding as opposed to furniture or buildings. I trust the use of hide
glue is not one of the things in common?

> Or are you just pulling my leg and now I am looking like a major dufus
because I fell for it?  ;-)

> Terry Farrell

Not at all. Hearken your mind back to, say, 1880 and consider where so many
of the world's major piano factories were located. Then consider the
economic stability of the wooden boatbuilding industry. Then consider where
the boatbuilders -- highly skilled woodworkers for the most part -- went
looking for work when they got laid off down at the boat shop. Why, to one
of the areas most thriving and growing industries: the piano factory.

Del