Piano Construction Origins, was: Butt-Jointed Ribs

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 23 Nov 2002 07:46:07 -0500

Del wrote:

"....so much of early piano construction came from the wooden boatbuilding industry of the day."

Now you've got my interest! Is there some traceable lineage from boats to pianos? I can't quite picture where pianos have things in common with boatbuilding as opposed to furniture or buildings. I trust the use of hide glue is not one of the things in common?

Or are you just pulling my leg and now I am looking like a major dufus because I fell for it?  ;-)

Terry Farrell