S&S D Duplex

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 09:52:01 -0600

>"Piano factories are very realistic places."
>
>Unfortunately the statement above is very true. Rather than redesign the
>entire belly of a piano, you can just add these little thingees to the
>rear duplex and sell just as many pianos - maybe more because they are
>shiny! THAT, is being realistic. It has more to do with the accounting,
>design and marketing departments than with what goes on in the noisy part
>of the factory.
>
>Terry Farrell

I forgot to add that be it the technical folks in the factory, or the
individual technician trying to make the thing sound less bad, the first
requirement for an effective and dependable fix is an understanding of the
cause of the problem. Those realistic factory folks and most of us techs
will just try to deal with the symptoms. In the case of the company with
the patent on the duplex scale, the soundboards are still being made
essentially the same way as they were then, with presumably the same killer
octave problems now as then. If anything, the killer octaves are probably
worse now than then because they have since decided to thin the panel in
the treble.

Ron N