Rebuild or Refinish?

Fri, 22 Nov 2002 07:52:49 -0800

I prefer to not have to put the piano through plate and string assembly =
with a new finish.  It's easy to nick it up.  So I usually send it to =
the finisher after I am done with the rebuild.  The only real problem =
the plate causes is the finishing of the inner rim.  So, I strip and =
sand the finish on the inner rim when the plate is out.  There are =
exceptions.  I am doing a piano now that was painted white, including =
the inner rim.  The work involved in removing the white was extensive =
enough that I sent it off after the board was done but without the =
plate.  When it came back I only needed to drop the plate and go from =
there.  I picked up an apron for the case so that I could work around =
the piano without damaging the finish on the sides, covered the =
stretcher with a thick piece of felt during restringing, and covered the =
front edge of the key bed. =20

David Love