Mustel Celeste

Tunebyear@aol.com Tunebyear@aol.com
Thu, 21 Nov 2002 22:53:49 EST

I got a call to regulate a Mustel too.  It must be nutcracker season.

I discovered spring shaping really helped.  I was working with the "key
resistance /touch weight",  could'nt get close to anything good.  discovered
reshaping the "butt return spring "  so that the top section which goes into
the "butt eyelete"  needing to be vertical,  the middle bend should be worked
to a nice round shape if not already. and the bottom kink with the set screw
can have a little extra kink.  The idea being that the spring should work
from the botton and the middle bend giving an even resistence throughout the
key stroke. and the vertical top is to get some friction out of the
eyelet/spring point.  also I added to each eyelet a felt strip glued to
itself for friction and noise.   The spring work really helped get the hammer
to contact the bar on a soft blow.  Its a challenge when let off doesn't
exist.

I also reinforced keybed against the case front "key slip/not"  by attaching
a support. This helped greatly with the bottom of a forte key stroke tending
to bury the hammer into the bars. it allowed a little closer "let off".  The
"keybed/rails"  were actually bending on a forte stroke.

Hope this helps,,, hope I was understandable with the "sketchy nomenclature".

Argggh trying to make an instrument out of a tinker toy.

Tom Ayers