Enough Already - Changing Topics

Sims-n-Sons sims-n-sons@ev1.net
Thu, 21 Nov 2002 20:24:36 -0600

Hello to all,

Maybe this is a subtle way to change the topics that have been skewed
drastically by everyone's lack of rest in this Holiday season.  Or at least
give us something else to talk about.

I'll be fairly new to everyone reading this as I don't write in often to the
list.  I have been attempting to learn the Piano Technician trade for
approximately two years now.  Some will say, "You should know it by now" but
I doubt many of you will say that as you are still asking questions after
quite a few years of working in this field.  How great is the study of the
piano??!!

I have been attending the monthly PTG meetings for about a year now and have
just joined as an associate member in the Dallas, Tx. chapter.  By the way,
it's a great chapter under the direction of President Dan Reed and has as
members excellent Technician's such as Jack Wyatt, Leon Spier and many more.

Anyway, the holiday season seems to be stressing all of the seasoned
Technician's a little bit due to more work than can be handled.  I've heard
that there is always more work than technician's ever since I've started
learning the trade.  My question, "HOW DO YOU GET THAT BUSY."  If it weren't
for friends and churches that I have close ties to I wouldn't have any work
to do at all.  Most of the work has been tuning only.  I know of a 6'4"
Knabe from the early 1920's that needs an action rebuild but I don't do
those yet and I doubt I could talk the Pastor into spending that kind of
money anyway.

What is a good way to obtain business when you are just starting out in the
business?  What methods of advertisement seem to work best?

Addressing items of this nature on the list will help me tremendously.  I've
seen the temperament wars and they interest me but if I don't have a piano
to attempt them on; well, you understand.

Thanks a lot.  Let's all be friends, ha..  We'll never all agree and I can
assure you of that especially on items such as Religion, politics, etc.  Not
being sarcastic, just friendly.

Sincerely,

Bobby Sims
Sims-n-Sons Piano Tuning and Repair