1881-83 Steinway,#48638, image #2

Phil Bondi tito@philbondi.com
Thu, 21 Nov 2002 18:32:05 -0500

> The holes start at A5 and continue through to C8. The holes are clean
> and symmetrical with no evidence of lead, or of any other after
> market activity to my vision.

OK..we all believe you..pictures don't lie..but are you asking if a
'true-to-form' restoration of this part of the instrument involves the
inclusion of these holes..or are you just curious as to why they are there
to begin with?

I'd say Greg's initial thought about weight reduction makes sense.

Were manufacturers really THAT particular about weight back then? My guess
is yes(I have yet to feel a 'heavy' action in a piano that is 80+ years
old), but why would the reduction be in such a spot as the hammers
themselves?

Have you done any weight analysis to this action?

I can't wait to do mine(it will be a few years, but it will be fun!),

-Phil Bondi (Fl.)
tito@philbondi.com