1881-83 Steinway,#48638, image #2

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 00:20:52 +0100

May be some lightening of the tone is expected by breaking the wood
continuity, as if the molding where thinner ?

Try to tap on the head of the hammer with a hard wood mallet or
something, and check if there is a different tone from the one with a
hole and the one without it.

Usually I do that for the last treble hammers, and look for the same
tone, working on the shanks to have the same pitch on the 5 to 10 last
treble hammers.

It is supposed to help for the voicing.

P.S. don't check the pitch with an EDT !

Regards.

Isaac O

Was some stringing braid after the tuning pins ?