Tuning & moving (frequently)

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 21 Nov 2002 06:35:06 -0500

A 30-inch wide door might be a challenge, but otherwise perhaps a good idea.

Terry Farrell

----- Original Message -----
From: "gordon stelter" <lclgcnp@yahoo.com>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Thursday, November 21, 2002 4:07 AM
Subject: Re: Re : Tuning & moving (frequently)

   I have often thought, for a REALLY mobile piano, of
putting two big, (12") pneumatic tires on it: one
back, middle, the other front, with an axle under a
steel plate that extends under, and  is screwed to,
the piano and far enough in front to support a chair.
The "front" tire would be behind the chair, actually.
     Like a Dutch street organ, these big, central
wheels would allow the piano ends to easily get up
over curbs, bumps, etc.. So the piano, chair etc.,
would be moveable, all at once.
     The steel plate would protrude a couple of inches
on the ends ( to protect the piano from collisions )
and support the chair.
     A couple of boards, on screwed to the back and
the other under the keybed, protrudinmg out on either
end about a foot, would provide handles.
     Blocks placed under the ends of the steel plate,
or screw-down feet, would keep the poiano level and
stable when in use.
     Thump

--- Jean Debefve <kobold@wanadoo.be> wrote:
> [...]
> carrying a Yamaha
> upright disklavier on tour ("Disklavier on tour?"
> thread). I was wondering
> if it was possible at all, and most of the answers
> emphasized the trouble
> with tuning, as the main obstacle.
>
> So my theatre company decided to buy the piano
> -disklavier UD 1A EP (I
> should have asked for a Steinway Grand or a
> Bösendorfer, but now it's too
> late...;-)), and it will be here in early december,
> ready to join the play's
> team - and the puppets.
> Isaac Oleg suggested to have a frame of some sort
> fixed to the piano's
> frame, in order to help it stand the frequent moves
> and the inequalities of
> stage floors -and the truck as well.
> I already discussed with the belgian piano tech who
> will take care of the
> piano on the long term. He has had no experience of
> an errant piano, but we
> already decided to change the Yamaha's casters with
> bigger ones : I wish we
> could move the piano onstage, like having the
> backside (and soundboard!) in
> front of the audience sometimes.
> Now I guess the technical possibilities are
> numerous, ranging from a
> complete floor, the size of the piano's projection
> on the ground, with
> provision for a seat, and even a three wheel cart,
> to a simple metallic
> frame. They will involve more or less drastic
> interventions on the piano
> itself, some of them invalidating the warranty.
> I understand the answer to my question is a matter
> of experimentation. I
> already have some answers, sometimes quite in-depth
> (Thanks Isaac Oleg),
> and am ready to try some of them. The piano will be
> in the rehearsal
> (nursery?)  room, next to the theatre wood and
> metalworkshop, for 9 months
> before the play has its Premiere. So any suggestions
> from the PT list
> members could be communicated to the Belgian PT who
> will take care of the
> piano while we'll be experimenting (I guess
> transforming the piano into a
> glove puppet stage will involve some modifications,
> like having a polished
> ebony finished "box" adde to the the piano upward,
> so that it will be 175 cm
> high instead of the 121cm it is now...)
>
> I've been a lurker in the list for over a month now,
> and I thorougly enjoyed
> it -it's a world of discoveries. It gave me the
> feeling that there is much
> more to listen in the sound of a piano than I
> thought possible - and I am a
> musician. I won't be able to cooperate, not having
> the necessary competence.
> I guess in my next incarnation I'll ask for a PT
> life and olifant's ears -I
> might  even help solve the Duplex controversy and
> design the brand new
> SteinYamBramberg hydroponic model with the puppet

puppet-Windows-Office-Companion-integrated-teacher?...