Duplex

Thu, 21 Nov 2002 00:09:07 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: <Duplexdan@aol.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: November 20, 2002 8:40 PM
Subject: Re: Duplex

> Del,
>
> You mean to say that Steinway has put locator pins in the bottom side of
some
> duplex scale contiguous harmonic bridges? Or have I mis read your post?
>
> Dan Franklin

Either you misread or I didn't make myself clear enough. With the Steinway
you can not move individual string rests -- only the duplex castings (what
you call the 'duplex scale contiguous harmonic bridges) as a unit. In the
1960s (which I believe was when the piano in question was built) these did
not really qualify as precision castings. I removed them and replaced them
with individual custom made string rests that could be moved independently
for each unison .

Del