S&S D Duplex

Duplexdan@aol.com Duplexdan@aol.com
Thu, 21 Nov 2002 00:20:13 EST

Tony Caught,

Your interest in the duplex scale is of special note to me because of your
knowledge and experience with other stringed instruments. My own research
revealed that CFT Steinway did study some amount of violin making in addition
to having a highly technical relationship with Hermann Helmholtz. This
suggests that what he learned from the violin makers and HH led him to
develop the idea of placing the duplex harmonic bridges in such a position as
to be divisions of the speaking length that are quantified into oliquot
portions. When the duplex bridge changes its direction it is because the
scale designer requres a different interval. You may be interested to
purchase my book  THE DUPLEX SCALE FIELD MANUAL GUIDE,  which is a compendium
of the duplex scales found in the worlds' most popular pianos. $20.00 (over
15 years of research went into this volume)

The point I feel you would like to address is that the sustain and quality of
a speaking length is enhanced when the fundamental of the non speaking length
produces a tone which is a low partial of the speaking length. This, in my
experience is 100% true. Steinway said so in 1872, and I have ample reason to
recommend his opinion to you. So do hundreds of technicians who have taken my
seminars.

The bottom line is, Tony, until you try it you won't buy it. But once you try
it, if you follow the original patent 126848, you will know the answer for
yourself. If you would like a copy of CFT's patent and mine 5736660 I will be
delighted to include them in the shipment...add $5. @ plus postage. That's
all.

By the way I have an old classmate friend in Austrailia who I hope will some
day invite me there to play golf as well as invest in a Rumanian soundboard
factory. I'd love to come to Austrailia and tune some duplexes if I can get
some tee times. It would be an adventure to visit you to assist in your
efforts to imporve piano tone, and at the same time visit my classmate Henry
Spira, in Sydney. The bonus would be if we can cook up a plan to manufacture
Rumanian spruce into soundboards. if this idea is too far "down under", let's
just deal with the duplex which is right up front and waiting to be tuned.

The internet may finally have a worthwhile purpose for the PTG.

Dan Franklin