Duplex

Duplexdan@aol.com Duplexdan@aol.com
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 23:37:11 EST

Greg Newell,

Your question regarding the locator pins in duplex scale contiguous harmonic
bridges is a very important one. At this writing I can not advise you as to
whether or not pianos like Yamahas and Kawais do  or don't have the "locator"
pins in the bottom side of the duplex. Ernie June told me they did. Other
technicians have reported the same. I have made sincere strenuous efforts to
talk to Don Manino of Kawai and the chief concert technician from Yamaha
trying to convince them that the use of pins to preset the position of the
duplex is self defeating. So far, I can not report success. Too bad for those
pianos. Their tone can never achieve their maximum potential when the duplex
scale is out of tune. Take that from the top ( S & S )

Regarding duplex scale single oliquot designed scales I feel more confident
in advising you that they can all be tuned, especially the older ones. And if
you get a chance to study the Fazioli  and the M & H new duplex scale designs
you will be greatly thrilled, I'm sure, with their brilliant innovations
which are eminently tuneable.

Dan Franklin