Fw: Electronic Sustain Timer

Ned Swift swiftspiano@hotmail.com
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 19:49:05 -0500

Hi Sarah

Since you are considering Tune Lab, perhaps you might also consider using
Power Tracks Pro Audio by PGMusic.  I use it in my recording studio for
recording and editing music.  It has adjustable functions such as gates and
limiters.  Gates cut off the low volume while limiters restrict the high
volumes.  It will also allow you to measure the time of the sustain and you
can look at the waveform.

The approach is quite simple. Record the piano on you laptop or PC. Process
the recorded waveform according to your desired volume levels and then read
the counter for the actual duration of the waveform.  You can even go in and
look at the recorded waveform from start to finish or at any point that you
choose.  Since the waveform is recorded, you can even create a library of
sustains on various pianos.  The cost of the program is about $30.  For what
it's worth.

Ned Swift
Lowell, MI

This isn't nearly as complicated as it sounds.