I need some advice

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 18:28:09 +0100

Hello,

The biggest problems is in the new hammers always being thicker and
with another felt quality than original ones.

Then action ratio have possibly to be slightly changed to allow for
the uses of these hammers, but tone changes are unavoidable.

Having hammer copies is may be an option, but I would not expect them
to be perfect.

Another problem is that voicing methods based on US piano tone are
very different from the voicing methods used on European pianos so a
very few people will know how to give these Bechstein a Bechstein
tone.

Take it for what it is, in Europe too a very few know how to treat
them.

Beside, Bechstein hammers are glued at 90? and that play a role in
tone.

I am actually learning how and why change the vertical distance
between hammer axe and whippen axe, to lessen friction and obtain more
mechanical advantage when restoring antique pianos (shorter whippen
heel for the most).

Old Bechstein whippen can be changed for modern ones, the tone then
will be more thick but more modern too.

Anytime you install new parts the tone change, I'd suggest strongly
that the whole action parts be changed, and the action worked as to be
modernized.
But as another option if you want to retain most of the original
characteristics (and for a Bechstein that could work, as they don't
need very tensioned hammer's felt) Have the heads reflected in Germany
by Able (with new rollers, and new felt bushings and new pins on the
original parts at the same moment.

Then the less things will be changed, and very little needling will
have to be done (but the base of the hammers will have to be needled
to obtain enough body in the tone, and most tuners don't needle in
there).

Remember that when you begin to repair one part of an old piano, all
the remaining defects show up (i.e.) you repair a worn keyboard, the
touch feels better but you hear better that the hammers are shot, you
change the hammers for new and hear that the old pinning is still too
free, you change hammers and shanks, and when you check new whippen on
a few notes you discover that it is the only way to have the piano
sounding and feeling as if new.

Parts age are somewhat paired, and the actual pleasing homogeneity is
disturbed when you begin the repair, that may be well why your tuner
is reluctant to give you any advice.

Here in Paris , France, many "fine repair" are giving a piano that
sound as an old instrument with a working action, but even when well
regulated the piano is almost always sounding old if old parts remain
in the circuit.

That is pleasing enough many customers, but not the most sensitive
ones. And often, they don't imagine how the piano is supposed to
sound.

Hope that helps, you can Email me privately if you wish more
information (or ask your tuner to write me).

Best Regards, and good luck.

Isaac OLEG