Duplex

Wed, 20 Nov 2002 00:21:52 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Greg Newell" <gnewell@ameritech.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: November 19, 2002 10:42 PM
Subject: Duplex

> Are all duplex bars moveable? Naturally the individual ones are but I seem
> to recall some with locator pins that dictated where they would be placed
> during stringing. If my memory is clear (this doesn't happen too often)
how
> can one tell if the locator pins are present or not? Attempting to move
one
> with a locator pin underneath and out of plain site could prove
disastrous, no?

> Greg Newell
> mailto:gnewell@ameritech.net

Not all are moveable. As you mention, some pianos using individual rests,
such as some of the early Baldwins and a couple of others whose manufacture
escapes me, are not movable. (The Baldwin index pin you can see if you look
carefully.) Others, such as the venerated Steinway, are movable only in
sections. Still others are cast into the plate.

The front duplex arrangements are some similar. Early Steinway front bearing
bars were, shall we say, semi-adjustable in sections. Later they were, and
still are, cast into the plate. Others, such as the M&H, are easily
adjustable both front and back. One recent piano using a so-called tuned
duplex--Schimmel?--has individual rests carefully et into a milled groove,
or slot, in a brass plate. Pretty, but hardly adjustable.

Del