S&S D Duplex

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 00:23:44 -0600

>If the tone only lasts 3 to 4 seconds, what kind of piano is this that all
>other features such as strings, hammers, board, action and tuning are
>correct? Sounds like something is broke to me.
>
>Terry Farrell

Well now, I'm glad you asked. I happen to have a few highly unsolicited,
unscientific, and subjective unauthorized measurements of sustain times
from revered random duplex scale patent products I collected as I
encountered them early this year. Times in seconds were noted from a firm
blow, to when the perceived sound  became indistinguishable from background
noise, as nearly as I could tell.

Dampers down, by the way.

                 C-8     C-7     C-6     C-5
S&S L : 1.5     5       9.5     12
S&S B : 1       3       5       10
S&S D : 2.5     5       8       13

This particular D was, in my experience, extraordinary in it's last octave
sustain. The 1.5 to 2 second range being statistically more likely. This
obviously isn't much of a sampling of the total number of beneficiaries of
THE tuned duplex patent, but you (all) can take your own samplings and fill
out the cross section as you wish. I'd be curious to know the highs, lows,
and averages if you do. Also in my experience, when strings, hammers,
board, action, and tuning are anywhere near "correct", these sustain
figures tend to be considerably higher with no hint whatsoever of a tuned
duplex. Build a decent soundboard, put a decent compatible string scale on
it, give it some back scale length so it can move, and you can get good
tone and sustain without duplex scaling.

Approximate projected sustain times from Dan's figures after tuning
duplexes are:

C-8             C-7             C-6             C-5
2-12.5  6-25            10-47.5 20-67.5

If the very worst examples of sustain I have here could be improved by 100%
by duplex tuning, they could be brought into the range of the best examples
I have here of presumably un-tuned duplexes. After all, if any of these
were already tuned, no improvements would be expected. If the best examples
I have here would be improved in sustain by 500%, they would be brought
into the range of the fountain of Lourdes. So let's try the other way.
Let's improve the worst by 500%, and the best by 100%, presuming that the
low performance examples are being held back from their full performance
potential by poorly tuned tuned duplexes - accounting for their not
altogether impressive showing. We then get:

C-8     C-7     C-6     C-5
5-5     10-15   19-25   24-50

 From my random sampling, I can apparently be assured of getting at least
5, 10, 19, and 24 seconds from C-8, 7, 6, and 5 respectively just by tuning
the duplexes. That's a pretty remarkable claim. Can I presume there is a
money back guarantee on the purchase of the tools sold specifically for
this job, and compensation for the time wasted performing the duplex tuning
correction by the official procedure, should these minimum sustain figures
not prove to be obtainable by these methods? Still, if any improvement at
all is detectable, it would be worth doing, since it's already designed in
and we're stuck with it.

Ron N