S&S D Duplex

Bill Ballard yardbird@pop.vermontel.net
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 00:17:08 -0500

At 11:39 PM -0700 11/18/02, David Andersen wrote:
>I seriously doubt that Paolo Fazioli has done anything on his piano
>" without much research and then continued [it] as an arbitrary feature."

I'm fully confident that Mr. Fazioli had the time and money to make
sure that every detail of his pianos was correct. How much time he
spent thinking about the rear duplexes I couldn't guess. You've got
to admit, it's a very appealing feature, intuitively. Hey, all the
high tone (npi) factories include it. The only complaint one might
hear is that when you actually go to check the tuning of these rear
duplexes by pitch, they weren't really tuned. So maybe the actual
extent of Mr. Fazioli's design for the rear duplexes on his pianos,
was the simple decision of the ratio between the two lengths (and of
course seeing to it that the design was properly executed in
production).

How that pans out under an engineer's scrutiny is another matter, and
we can only speculate on that.

Steinway's tubular grand action frame was an innovation with a number
of advantages. But transferring that design to the vertical action
was not a smart move. I'd call this a good example of "an idea copied
without much research and then continued as an arbitrary feature".

>Just my opinion; my advice, Bill: try it and see.  Then tell me what
>you heard.

So have you tried the oysters? How do they taste? Do they have any
nutritional content? Seriously, David. are you asking me because you
already have and are waiting with mute delight for my own epiphany.
Or are you egging me on so that once I've tried it, you will too?

So far Dan Franklin is the only one here who's gone on record as
trying it and liking it. I'd like to hear from any and all others.

Best Regards,

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"I gotta go ta woik...."
     ...........Ian Shoales, Duck's Breath Mystery Theater