S&S D Duplex

Duplexdan@aol.com Duplexdan@aol.com
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 00:14:31 EST

Ric B

The Bluthner duplex scale is the only piano that uses a fourth string to
create a double strung duplex. This has virtually nothing whatsoever to do
with the duplex scale that S & S invented 126848 and which I have received a
patent for the method of tuning. 5376660.

If I may hazard a guess as to why Bluthner chose this design it is that the
scale designer felt that the sympathetic vibrations of the speaking length
causing the fourth string to vibrate would create an enhancement of the tone.
No one else in the piano industry, to my knowledge has agreed with this
theory. Consequently Bluthner's fourth string stands alone. Even Bluthner has
recently abandoned this feature in their newest instruments.

As far as accepting Del Fandrichs adjuration to "move beyond" the duplex
scale I am waiting for him to catch up! Let's charge him with proving the
duplex scale IS NOT what CFT Steinway and dozens of other scale designers and
manufacturers claim it to be. Where is the beef? Show the proof. My seminars,
my experiments, the dozens of technicians practicing duplex scale tuning, the
long list of manufacturers utilizing this feature, the infinite list of
artists whose piano tone  has been improved by tuning the duplex scale: all
these are credible supports for tuning the duplex scale. In order to overturn
this weighty body of affirmations, more than an opinion is necessary. Let's
see some facts. Let's see some respect for the scale designers of :
Baldwin ( the old one) Boston, Estonia, Fazioli, Hardman, Heimlisch, Kawai,
Knabe, Mason & Hamlin, Nakamura, Rieger-Kloss, Steinert, Steinway, Weber,
Yamaha, Young chang.

Dan Franklin