How to use an apostrophe

Stéphane Collin collin.s@skynet.be
Tue, 19 Nov 2002 18:09:57 +0100

Hello list.

Let me also propose a spelling for the pluralization of Steinway.
My logical suggestion depends on what you mean when you say :"A =
Steinway", as this never appears to be clear.

If you mean a member of the family called Steinway, like in this excerpt =
:

  "And never forget you are a Steinway !"
    (Henrich Engelhard Steinweg to one of his sons, when dying in 1871)

then, the plural should be something like :
  "And never forget you are Steinway bastards !"
    (Carl Bechstein (Bechsteinszoon's) when proposed to sell his company =
to some US market tenors)
But if you mean a grand piano of the famous make called after it's =
pattent owner, like in this excerpt :
  "Careful with that Steinway, Bob !"
    (Bob's mother)
then, the plural definetly should be :
  "Careful with those Steinway grand pianos, Bill !"
    (Bill's chief purser)
Please notice that neither the generic noun Steinway, nor the adjective =
grand get pluralized.  Only the common noun piano is, as only this =
refers to the thing that is actually pluralized.

Best regards,

St=E9phane Collin
(from the Acad=E9mie Fran=E7aise)

  ----- Original Message -----=20