When is a Steinway still a Steinway

Mon, 18 Nov 2002 22:34:29 +0100

Delwin D Fandrich wrote:

> And, as long as we're on the subject....
>
> Just what does the soundboard decal represent? Those I have seen are simply
> marketing tools--and good ones, I might add. They indicate to the great
> unwashed masses that the Steinway piano is (was) used by some of the
> greatest despots of world and, by inference, is quite good enough for you as
> well. Nowhere on any of the decals I have seen does it say, "Soundboard by
> Steinway."

Gawd.... reminds me of an experience I had walking around one of the Royal
family castles in Stockholm.... Pictures of virtualy every great leader of the
19th century, often pictured with their magnificant armies in all there
magnanamous majesty. I got nearly sick to my stomach thinking of all the people
who got butchered because of those leaders passion for war. Not much to do with
pianos I know...but despots.... sheeesh.

> Now from here we get into the fine points. Granted you could argue that
> since the soundboards we put in pianos differ substantially from those
> installed by the original manufacturer we should not be allowed to use their
> Official Soundboard Decals. (This would presumably be true regardless of the
> name on the keycover.) And, indeed, we most often do not use them--though
> the reason for not using them has nothing to do with any of the above. It's
> that they generally don't fit. We have a soundboard cutoff bar going across
> there and I consider soundboard performance to be more important than any
> decal.

But why not fashion something of your own ? I keep thinking about what Ron
mentioned .... who gets credit when its good, and who when its bad. Seems to me
that any design change from the origional... certainly any significant one and
the rebuilder deserves to share at least the stage with the origional name.
Somebody mentioned modified race cars in another post. Dont you often hear these
animals being refered to as a  "Colbert - Ford" or "Schumaker - Chevy" or
something of the like. Certainly there is enough of the origional design to
warrant inclusion of that origion, and certainly enough of the person
responsible for the modifications to warrant the addition of their logo / name.

> But, I am aware of at least several rebuilders who purchase Sitka
> spruce from the same sources, diaphragm the panels identically, use sugar
> pine ribs cut and shaped to exactly the same dimensions and are compression
> crowned in the same manner as all is done by Steinway. Should they be
> allowed to use the Official Soundboard Decal because their soundboards are
> essentially identical to the Official Steinway Soundboard? Even though the
> soundboard is not made and installed by Steinway? What about the rebuilder
> who follows most all of the Steinway protocol but machines a slight crown
> into the ribs before gluing them to the panel? Or leaves the panel slightly
> thicker in the treble? Or resets the bridge on a Model S so the strings
> don't continue breaking?

I dont know really,,, legalities and what not... but from the seat of my pants I
would think that if the origional process and design was meticulously revered as
it were... then the Steinway decal is warranted, and I fail to see how any court
in the world could rule against that... but who knows. Otherwise... well like I
said.. why not take credit for what you change ? Why bother giving it all to
Steinway... heck they "abandoned" the darn thing anyways.

> It all does get rather hazy, doesn't it?

And Purple as well :)

> Del

Cheers!
RicB