When is a Steinway still a Steinway

Mon, 18 Nov 2002 20:58:16 +0100

Hi there Del

Now this is an angle I must admit has never crossed my mind, and an interesting
one to be sure. And its just the kind of thing I like to think about as well...
sort of philological if you will :) I am not really sure how to approach an
answer either, outside of saying that I suppose much would depend on just how
conscious S&S are of the changes a compression crowned panel goes over time. To
date I have yet to see them responde to any of the criticisms and concerns
raised by you and others, in any sort of justification for why they do what they
do.

I did hear a newly employed C&D tech in New York (at the Reno Convention) say
that they have their reasons for the things they do, but just dont want to get
into any arguements about them. Seemed like a weak avoidance to me, but then I
am in no position to demand answers from them to be sure.

So when does a Steinway cease to be a Steinway on its own.. without any
exploratory or otherwise surgery as it were ??? Good question Del.

RicB