When is a Steinway still a Steinway

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Mon, 18 Nov 2002 11:58:13 EST

In a message dated 11/18/02 10:44:31 AM Central Standard Time,
dm.porritt@verizon.net writes:

> I have a "B" for sale now that has all Renner action parts, a
> non-Steinway sounding board and I'm not concerned about a lawsuit.  I
> have made a list of everything that is in the piano that I will pass
> on to the buyer so that there will be no doubt as to what is actually
> in the instrument.

For some people, this will make a difference, both positive and negative.
Some customers will not understand why non Steinway parts were used. They
assume that only Steinway parts are the best. Along with that is the
perception of sound and feel. If a customer is told the piano has all
Steinway parts, they will automatically think, and then presume, the piano
sounds and plays "perfect." They will convince themselves that the way the
piano plays and sounds is the way a Steinway is supposed to play and sound.
By the same token, if they are told the piano has Renner parts, (or some
other brand), they might take the attitude that it isn't "as good."

This is a perceptual thing. Not actual fact. Some customers will only listen
to the sound, and pay attention to the feel, and not worry what parts were
used, as long as it is what they want

But then, each piano is different, and each customer has their own taste. The
secret is matching the two together.

Wim