When is a Steinway still a Steinway

Mon, 18 Nov 2002 17:59:03 +0100

Ron Nossaman wrote:

> Some more thoughts. If this is really a concern, there's always the option
> of reproducing what was originally there, within reason. I would at least
> suggest a new string scale and crowned rib set , re-calibrated as
> necessary, with soundboard replacement. It won't make the piano look
> different to most folks, but will minimize some of the inherent problems.

All other considerations aside, I would think that the installation of a
non-compressioned crowned Steinway style would really turn the instrument into
something other then a Steinway. Personally I would have trouble accepting the
validity of attaching a new Steinway decal to said board, regardless of
whatever postive structural and / or acoustic attributes it may have. The
soundboard is perhaps as close to the core of the piano as one can get me
thinks, changing this turns it into something other then it was... for better
or worse.

> The other side of this is that the rebuilder's good work and fine
> performance result will be credited to Steinway if it sounds good, and to
> him if it doesn't.
>
> Ron N

Thats the real kicker... and perhaps all the more reason for fellows like
yourself to develope your own decal. I mean hey... its YOUR puppy.. Ok..its a
Steinway rim and I dont mean to underestimate the importance of a finely built
rim. But still, the board design and the whole process of installation and
fitting are yours and it becomes a result of YOUR knowhow, skill, and carefull
workmanship.  If you ask me you deserve the credit, all of it either way...not
just when things go bad.

In short... why call it a Steinway when it is in reality a Nossaman, or an
Erwin, Fandrich, Garrett or any of the rest of you who've come so far in the
rebuilding process ? I ask ya's ! :)

Cheers !

RicB
--