Belly rail crown - Why???

Ron Overs sec@overspianos.com.au
Mon, 18 Nov 2002 23:13:51 +1100

To listees concerned with sound board installation,

Again I find myself questioning a long standing tradition in piano
making, and why it should be so done.

The theory of sound board curvature (whatever that might be) tells us
that the shape of a sound board panel ideally should conform to that
of a sector of a sphere. Since it has been decided that the sound
board should be installed so that it experiences less stress, makers
historically have decided that there must be a rise in the centre of
the belly rail to accommodate the spherically shaped 'board (6mm or
1/4" would seem to be a typical figure).

I am wondering about the validity of this practice, since the board
does not in reality assume a spherical shape. It would appear to be
crowned more or less perpendicular to the 'line' of the long bridge,
ie. along the line of the ribs. Furthermore, the treble corner tends
to curl up like a potato crisp after the ribs have been fitted, which
would cause the raised centre of the belly rail to place the glued
down belly under even greater stress than if the belly rail was made
straight.

Just sitting at an empty case thinking about this, I can see no
disadvantage in setting the belly rail straight. In fact with the
piano I am setting up at present, the cut off bar extends so far
across to the treble end of belly rail that the 'board will not be
supported by the belly rail until the highest treble section is
reached. The cut off rail I am building is a continuously curved
member of 30 mm depth and 40 mm wide. It will be glued to the back
posts, and the entire non-sound board bass corner will be filled in
with a 19 mm thick plywood piece which will butt up to the sound
board panel over the cut off bar. This is intended to provide a high
level of lateral support for the cut off bar and sound board
perimeter. I can see no advantage in setting any part of the sound
board perimeter at a height other than that of the inner rim.

Dale, Del, Ron N. etc. what are your thoughts on this matter.

Ron O.

--

OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY
Grand Piano Manufacturers