S&S D Duplex

Mon, 18 Nov 2002 10:08:42 +0100

Delwin D Fandrich wrote:

> The major problem I have with this whole tuned backscale discussion is that
> it requires thinking of each string (or unison) and its associated bridge
> segment as a series of mono-chords (mono-unisons?) acting independently of
> each other.

Hmm... interesting... Why ?

> The do not, of course, what happens to one unison happens also
> to the adjacent unisons for some distance up and down the bridge. In other
> words, when the strings of, say, C-64 are vibrating and causing the bridge
> to move it is not just the backscale strings of C-64 that are set in motion
> in response. The backscale strings of all of the unisons for some distance on
> either side of C-64 are also set in motion.

Yes, but isnt it reasonable to assume that the backlength of a string set in
motion has "more in common" with its speaking length then the adjacent
backlengths do ?  And even if one assumes that only transverse bridge motion is
relevant wouldn't that necessarily be most predominant at exactly the backlength
whose speaking length is excited ?

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.