Toolkit Organization ?

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Sun, 17 Nov 2002 22:35:44 EST

dsmith941@hotmail.com writes:

> I guess the most important question is "what do you take into the home for a
> generic tuning appointment"?  vs what do you leave in the car, and how is
> what you leave in the car organized into seperate kits?
>

> I would sincerely appreciate learning from your experience.  Please reply
> privately if you feel this is list-clutter.
>
> Dave Smith

It all depends on how skilled you are, and how much "on the spot" repairs and
regulation you do.

I used to take a flute case in with me, with a tuning hammer, a small screw
driver, temperament strips and a mutes. I cold tune 90% of my pianos. I had
the rest of my tools and supplies in my car. As I got more experienced, and
knew more, I took a bigger and bigger tool kit in with me, and did a lot more
for the customer, sometimes without charging, because the work I did was so
minor it didn't' warrant an addition fee, but the piano sounded and played
better, and I got more repeat business.

Only you can answer how many tools and supplies you should take in with you.
Start with a small tool kit, with just a few supplies, like punchings, glue,
straws for broken shanks, etc. Over a period of a month or so, see what else
has shown up in your tool box. If you think you'll use them again, or if
you've used a bunch of times, keep it. Other wise put it back in a bigger
tool box that stays in your car.

Wim