apples and oranges

Stephen Birkett sbirkett@real.uwaterloo.ca
Sat, 16 Nov 2002 23:08:45 -0500

Ron smoldered:

>Fair enough. Then please unblinker me with a description of what is so
>sobering about the thought that Cristifori's instrument had a 10:1 action
>ratio in light [sic] of the weight of the hammers used, and in the context
>of the discussion of the relationship between action ratios and hammer
>weights. I made the comment on the hammer weight because I thought it was
>pretty obvious and didn't see anything particularly insightful about it.
>But I could very well be mistaken. Please clarify.

No big deal here - mine was just an off-the-cuff remark inspired by what
you had written.

>And as far as my emblinkerment being made obvious by my comment that
>Cristifori's piano was not a modern piano, haven't you pointed out that
>very thing more than once on this list in support of how things were done
>then against how they are done now?

Hey Ron, don't get all bristley. I think we actually are saying pretty much
the same thing. My point is just that looking at, and comparing the
function of, all piano types as mechanical/acoustic systems in their own
right can stengthen understanding. Many people (and I wasn't including you
in the blinkered ones) simply dismiss old pianos (and actions) as
uninteresting and irrelevant.

>Eagerly awaiting vision enhancement.

Hmmm. Ocular regeneration is definitely not necessary here. You and I often
seem to be at cross-purposes when in reality we're saying the same thing in
very different ways.

Little slow following up on this - sorry.

Stephen

Stephen Birkett Fortepianos
Authentic Reproductions of 18th and 19th Century Pianos
464 Winchester Drive
Waterloo, Ontario
Canada N2T 1K5
tel: 519-885-2228