LIST CENSORSHIP - Put it in perspective!

Carl Meyer cmpiano@attbi.com
Sat, 16 Nov 2002 09:58:50 -0800

AMEN and Hallelujah

Carl Meyer  Assoc. PTG
Santa Clara, California
cmpiano@attbi.com=20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Robert Goodale=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Sunday, November 17, 2002 8:57 AM
  Subject: LIST CENSORSHIP - Put it in perspective!

  Well... my personal piece of mind:

  I have been on this list continuously now for about six years.  I have =
seen many names come and go over the years.  Some leave and come back, =
others have never returned.  Frequently some new blood appears.  With so =
many new people it is no wonder that the same topics recycle again and =
again with each new generation.  Sometimes people get upset with each =
other.  Then it passes and all is right again.  "Off topics" have =
littered the list since the beginning.  I suspect they always will.  =
Sometimes there is humor, sometimes they are serious.

  We've talked about pianos in general, pianists, technical, tuning, =
rebuilding, customers not paying bills, advertising, public schools, =
universities, budgets, conventions, trade shows, dealers, other =
technicians, insurance, financing, general business topics, cats peeing =
in pianos, pianos in floods, pianos in fires, pianos that should be =
burned, vandalism, glue, strings, hammers, springs, fees, brands, =
manufacturing, refinishing, wheels, lids, bushings, center pins, =
cleaning, tools, wood, just about anything you can thing of.  We've also =
occasionally discussed politics, off topic humor, people, places, food, =
holidays, computers, money, television, movies, drinking, gambling, sex, =
and rock and roll.

  Censorship has also been discussed from the beginning.  It has never =
happened and I think for a very good reason.  The majority of us don't =
want it.  What is the pianotech list?  Well... it's about a bunch of =
technicians who get together in cyber space and have discussions.  We =
talk on topic, (most of the time), and occasionally talk off topic.  =
Why?  Because we are a happy group and we have "conversation" just as if =
we were in a casual setting at a convention with other technicians.  =
There are no specific rules here.  The general topic is pianos.  =
Sometimes we just goof around a little bit and have fun doing it.  It is =
a "human" environment where people don't want to become tech-ish all the =
time.  We get that enough when we're working.

  So what does this all mean?  It means, (and this is my opinion but =
which I know it is widely shared), lighten up!  Leave the serious forms =
to the university chat room geeks who have no life to speak , wear =
pocket protectors with a hardware store stuffed in them, of and dream =
about wires and gears in their sleep.  We CAN relax and have fun here =
and we CAN talk technical about pianos at the same time.  Take a look at =
your keyboard for a moment.  Just to the right of the "enter" key and =
just below the "insert" key there is another little key that says =
"Delete".  If a topic arises that you don't wish to read or the author =
of a topic gives you the runs, just push it and the message will =
disappear in .00349276 nano-seconds.  Then you will be happy and bubbly =
again and everything will be right in your world.

  Enjoy life more often.  Trust me, it will be more fun that way.

  Rob Goodale, RPT
  Las Vegas, NV

   =20