S&S D Duplex

Duplexdan@aol.com Duplexdan@aol.com
Fri, 15 Nov 2002 23:48:59 EST

Bill,

Thank you for your continued interest in tuning duplex scales.
I'm going to try to be of further assistance to you in your search for
answers to solving your "duplexophobic" condition.

The first thing I would suggest is to familiarize yourself with the duplex
scale itself.
Reading US Patents 126840 and 5736660  should help you to gain a technical
grasp of the purposes, nature, and technology of tuning duplex scales. In
order to do this you will have to buy into the precept that the Library of
Congress and CFT Steinway have some credibility. If that is a problem for
you, there is still hope, so don't give up.

The hope is step number two. Try tuning a duplex scale. Before attacking a
contiguous harmonic bridge I would suggest a piano with single oliquots. You
don't need to buy my tool, I'm sure you can use the old fashioned
hammer/screwdriver method to get started.

As far as worldwide "surging" is concerned remember we are dealing with a
very conservative profession that takes years to produce a product. I prefer
to call the interest in the least 25 years more like a tidal wave that has
been building around the world.  Virtually all the Kawais and yamahas  and
other pianos coming out of the Orient have duplex scale clones including the
Boston. In Europe the Fazioli factory is eminently engaged in perfecting the
duplex scale characteristics and tuning.

Here are a few pianos that have endorsed the duplex scale in their design:
Baldwin, Bosendorfer, Boston, Estonia Fazioli, Hardman, Heimlisch, Kawai,
Knabe, Mason & Hamlin, Nakamura, Rieger-Kloss, Steinert, Steinway, Weber,
yamaha, young Chang.

It is interesting to note that the year Baldwin decided to change their scale
from duplex to acu-just hitch pins marks the year that company began a
precipitious decline. It is also interesting to note that S & S was the
originator of the feature, and has remained at the top of the list of pianos
of high quality.

One last note is that there are technicians all around the country who have
participated in my seminars and who are actively practicing duplex scale
tuning with great success. Hopefully more will join the wave. So far there
has never been any significant test undertaken that disproves the value of
the design, only duplexophobia, which is understandably a conservative "prove
it to me" viewpoint. I must tell you, that I held this view point for years
until I conclusively proved it to myself. I am afraid that nothing I can tell
you, or anything you can read will convince you, if you are a technician. You
will have to prove it to yourself, Bill.

Sincerely, Dan Franklin