An Old Rust Becket

Mike and Jane Spalding mjbkspal@execpc.com
Fri, 15 Nov 2002 16:21:42 -0600

Alan,

You bet it's OK.  I use a small artist brush to protek the v-bar, pressure bar, agraffes, and felt on pianos like that one.  Anything to help make those strings move when you turn the pin.

Mike

----- Original Message -----
From: Alan R. Barnard <mathstar@salemnet.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Thursday, November 14, 2002 8:21 PM
Subject: An Old Rust Becket

Is it safe to put a drop of Protek on a rusty ol' coil? Hope so, 'cause I done did it.

Had a first today. Wonderfully nice old couple, wonderfully horrid old Cable upright. Made it work as a good-enough beater for their grandson to learn on. Tuned (up 120 cents to A435) despite flat hammers, old strings, a bit of action fixing and regulating.

Anyhow, the guy pulls out his NIkon and asks if he can take my picture while I'm tuning. Flash, flash, flash .... three shots. Fame at last. Now where's that fortune?

Alan Barnard
Salem, MO