new to me?

John Musselwhite john@musselwhite.com
Fri, 15 Nov 2002 14:36:47 -0700

At 08:24 PM 14/11/02 -0500, Phil wrote:

>by the way:
>
>The piano has not been re-whatevered in any way..it belongs to the original
>owner.
>
>I was hoping for a explaination as to why this particular color for this
>particular model for this particular year...?

If I recall Joe Bisceglie's explanation correctly, in 1956 (and perhaps
part of 1957) Steinway built a number of pianos to be "100th anniversary"
models.  These pianos had a "wrinkled" sort-of bronze/tan finish on the
plate with smooth dampers coloured to match and the stringing braid, plate
and belly felts were brown. I seem to recall that this was meant to pay
homage to the first instruments that Henry Steinway built.

The original D at the Jubilee Auditorium here in Calgary is an example of
these pianos that is still in use on the concert stage, though not nearly
with the intensity of the first half of its life. After nearly 50 years of
concert service it's still in almost-original condition and only the
hammers/shanks and key bushings have been changed.  I do not know if they
took any extra care in the construction of these particular models or not,
but most of the other examples I've seen of this vintage have been very
nice pianos in general, though they look rather odd when you lift the
lid.  Occasionally you see these "re-whatevered" with plates sprayed gold
right over the old finish, making it seem like there might have been
something in the paint that "ruined" the smooth finish that people expect
to find in a Steinway. I prefer them restored to their original state
though, as they were somewhat "special" (some might say bizarre) compared
to any other vintage.

>Maybe there's no explaination?

I hope that one helped.

                 John